Thursday, August 4, 2011

The next saga....

Just after I finished the post last night I got the phone call that us Mothers dread," Mum I've come off the bike, hurt my wrist, on my way to hospital, can you meet me there??". HS had taken advantage of the beautiful weather and with a mate decided to go for a quick ride on their dirt bikes before it got dark. He'd gone over the handlebars and his wrist was an odd shape. He has fractured it, spent the night in hospital and will have surgery this morning to set it. Luckily it looks like it should be fairly straight forward. He didn't have a lot of pain and by the time we left last night he wasn't making a lot of sense with all the drugs they had given him. I couldn't fault the care we were given in Emergency, we hear a lot of bad stories about our health system but our experience was great. No early night for me or lamb dinner...... Will make my way up there early this morning armed with magazines and hopefully bring him home this afternoon!

10 comments:

carole johnston said...

O'h a mothers lot! we had a simialr thing happen a long time ago our son was on his way to work doing 80klms and a huge Kangaroo literally jumped over the handlebars! Michael was thrown off and over an embankemnt a truckie pulled up and when our boy stood up the truckie said you should have dies he saw it all,he still has sore hips to this day,bless you and thank goodness he is not more hurt.

Chookyblue...... said...

blasted boys will be boys..............hope all goes well today........

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Hope that HS is feeling alright this morning. What a week! The highs and lows! Time to ban that motorbike!! ;)

Anita said...

Hi Lise,

Boy do I know what you are going through. My son was 11 when he jumped out of the back of a parked pickup and broke is wrist in two places. I had to take him to the emergency room and stand out in the hall while they set it. Not a fun thing. Hope it is an easy surgery and you are both home this afternoon.

Andrea said...

Poor lad - hope all goes well. As if we don't have enough to worry about. I am only just coming to terms with Patrick (14yo) getting his teeth knocked out a few months back xx

Brandie said...

Oh my! I liked the last post better. This one's a tear jerker. Good lucky! I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Lorraine said...

Boys and their toys! Hope all goes well and he will be home soon....wait until he works out what he can and can't do with a cast on his arm..! With my boy it's footy that brings about the injuries....broken leg, broken arm and shoulder injury....not all at the same time thank goodness!!

Margaret said...

oops! It's all that adrenalin that young boys / men have , bound to happen happy it isn't serious, just a boulder got in the way, and jumped out in front of the bike.

Mistea said...

Hope it is all sorted and now he just needs to remember patience.
Wishing speedy healing to that arm!

Carol said...

Oh dear, I do hope that he is okay. I can only imagine your heart must have been beating so loud with that phone call.