Monday, January 2, 2012

Baking and the first 7 projects!

Well I have tried my new recipe for this week. Yesterday I made a Banana Caramel Loaf. It is SO good!!! and so easy. It is mixed by hand and although the icing looks a little complicated it isn't and is worth making to finish the cake perfectly.
I have also completed the list for my first 7 'craft' projects to work on. As I finish one I can replace it with another, I have so many things on my list to either finish or that I'd like to do.
 - crochet rug (this will be ongoing for a while)
- coin purse from Some Kind of Wonderful book ( a new project!!)
- beaded and ribbon bracelet (a new project but a very quick one, have had the tutorial printed for at least 12 months!)
- mug rug ( a new project but one that has been promised for many months!)
- golf quilt (a very old project that I will be happy to finish)
- nursery rhyme quilt (also a very old project that I will need to reaquaint myself with!)
- fat quarter shop mystery bom (well behind with this one, will take a while to catch up!!! looking forward to working on this one)
So there you have it, I will see how I go!
Hot and sticky here today, we are hiding inside and it is just now becoming uncomfortable. It is days like this we wish we had air conditioning!!! All of us home again! We had a flying trip to Ararat yesterday to take Mum out for lunch for New Year, only SH and I, the kids were still celebrating the New Year with friends!Back to work tomorrow! Not looking forward to that!

BANANA CARAMEL LOAF
2 cups Self Raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large ripe bananas mashed (you need 1 cup)
Caramel Icing-
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
50g butter chopped
2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup icing sugar mixture

Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan forced. Lightly grease a 6cm deep, 10 x 20cm loaf pan.(our loaf pan is small which is why I used a square pan). Line base and sides with baking paper.
Sift flour and bicarb of soda into a bowl. Add sugar. Stir to combine. Place milk, eggs and vanilla in a jug. Whisk to combine.
Fold milk mixture and banana into flour mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour - 1 hour 15min or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack to cool.
To make icing, place brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan over low heat. Cook stirring for 2 minutes (don't boil) or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cook for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in icing sugar until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. Spread loaf with icing.
ENJOY!!!

6 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Yum to the cake and I make an icing very similar....great list of achievements Lise...good luck...

carole johnston said...

Seriously yummy...well done...

Carol said...

OMG that looks so good I am salivating on my iPad, hahahahaha.

Little Penpen said...

Happy New Year to you! the cake looks yummy. I had a goal of trying a new recipe each week last year, but didn't make it. However, I did try and add several new recipes to my collection that I still use. Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

Looks very yummy!! I'll have to make it once my bananas ripen up!

Karmen said...

That cake looks so yummy! Karmen